British Prince Charles spoke about his experience with the coronavirus, saying that he was lucky to have only mild symptoms and that he hopes that the pandemic will refocus its efforts on the environment.
“I was lucky in my case and did pretty well,” said the 71-year-old heir to the throne told Sky News Television in an interview on Thursday.
“I can thus understand what other people have gone through. I feel particularly sensitive to those who lost their loved ones but could not be with them at the time.
“It is the most horrible thing for me,” he said.
Queen Elizabeth II’s eldest son contracted COVID-19 in March and spent his isolation and recovery in the huge monarch balmoral area in the north-east of Scotland.
His wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, has not contracted the virus and has self-isolated separately in case she develops symptoms.
The couple were seen last month in Balmoral, laying a wreath to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War in Europe.
He called the outbreak, which officially claimed the lives of more than 40,000 people in Britain, “an incredibly trying and difficult time”, which forced people to reassess their lives.
Charles, a longtime environmental activist, said his experience had made him even more determined to champion the cause, to improve the lives of everyone around the world.
He said it was important to put “nature at the center of everything”, warning that by destroying the environment, the risks to life increased.
“We should have treated the planet as if it had been a patient for a long time,” he said.
“So, no self-respecting doctor would have ever let the situation … arrive at this stage before performing an intervention, hence the precautionary principle, which seems absolutely essential to me.”
(This story has not been edited by GalacticGaming staff and is automatically generated from a syndicated feed.)