Congressional government in Rajasthan to see Deputy Prime Minister Sachin Pilot rush to Delhi with loyal MPs after hostilities with Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot peaked in the past two days . Sources say Sachin Pilot, who also heads Congress in Rajasthan, was in talks with the BJP, which took power in two states earlier, thanks to high-profile defections from Congress.
Here is what we know from these discussions:
- Talks between Sachin Pilot and the BJP were said to have started before the country was blocked for coronavirus in late March.
- Sources say Sachin Pilot is attached to the post of chief minister, which he lost to veteran Ashok Gehlot after Congress won the 2018 poll in state polls.
- The BJP, however, says that Mr. Pilot must bring down the government if he wants the highest position.
- In addition, the BJP has its own chief ministerial candidate. Former chief minister Vasundhara Raje has the support of nearly 45 BJP deputies.
- Sources say Mr. Pilot discussed with his congressional bosses the possibility of creating a regional party and said he would not join the BJP.