Seven Indians, who were kidnapped in Libya last month, have been released, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
Indian nationals, from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh, were kidnapped in Asshwerif on September 14 as they were on their way to Tripoli airport to catch a flight to India .
“We are pleased to report that the seven Indian nationals who were abducted from Asshwerif in Libya on September 14 were finally released yesterday,” MEA said.
MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava last week said Indians were working in an oilfield construction and supply company.
“Our Ambassador to Tunisia Puneet Roy Kundal spoke to them by phone after they were handed over by the kidnappers to the Al Shola Al Mudia company. All are in good health and currently live on the company’s premises in Brega. We are trying to complete the formalities required to allow their return to India, ”MEA said.
Following the kidnapping, the Indian Embassy in Tunisia contacted Libyan government authorities as well as international organizations present there, seeking help to rescue Indian nationals.
The Indian mission in Tunisia deals with issues relating to the welfare of Indian nationals in Libya.
Libya, an oil-rich country in North Africa, has witnessed large-scale violence and unrest since the fall of Muammar Gaddafi’s four-decade regime in 2011.
“We extend our sincere thanks to the Libyan authorities and tribal elders in the region for their unwavering cooperation in securing the release of our unharmed nationals,” MEA said.
He also recalled that it was forbidden to travel for Indian nationals to Libya, for any purpose, since May 2016 due to the security situation in that country.
In September 2015, an advisory was issued by the government for Indian nationals to avoid traveling to Libya given the security situation there.
In May 2016, the government imposed a total travel ban for any purpose due to the deteriorating security situation in Libya.